An employer that pleaded not guilty to failing to implement a safety control, which it claimed would interfere with the rights of its facility residents, has been handed a low-range penalty, after a court heard it promptly improved its procedures after a man was injured.
An employer's system of storing stock on the ground in its busy warehouse made commercial and operative sense and was not negligent for a number of reasons, an appeals court has confirmed in rejecting an injured worker's claim for damages.
A company has been ordered to pay a worker more than $1.5 million in damages, after he suffered permanent brain damage from inhaling carbon monoxide in a work vehicle, just one day after another driver was found dead in the car.
A company and its clinical director have been fined a total of nearly $730,000 for failing to develop comprehensive safety plans for clients, and other breaches, after a client with multiple sclerosis lost consciousness and later died.
An 82-year-old company director has been convicted and fined $125,000 over the death of his friend, with a judge rejecting claims that his age reduced the seriousness of his offence, and saying a "strong message needs to be sent to company directors whose companies place employees and others in highly dangerous situations".
An injured worker has been awarded about $635,000 in damages, after a court found his employer's failure to identify his tasks as hazardous manual handling, in breach of safety regulations, caused his disabling musculoskeletal injury.
An employer has been found guilty of workplace health and safety breaches, relating to an elderly man's fall into a ditch, after a judge rejected its claim that the control it was accused of failing to implement would interfere with the human and statutory rights of its care facility residents.
A PCBU has been fined heavily after its efforts to overcome a chemical supply issue nearly killed a worker through fluoroacetate poisoning. Meanwhile, an employer has been fined over a worker's crush injuries, in a case showing that interlocked guarding should prevent, rather than just discourage, access to hazardous machine parts.